Vulnerability management is the ongoing process of identifying, assessing, prioritizing, mitigating & monitoring computer systems, networks and software. It is of paramount important in ensuring a strong security posture for individuals, organizations and nations.
There are several reasons why managing vulnerabilities is crucial:
- Risk Reduction: Vulnerabilities in systems as well as software can be taken advantage of, exploited, by attackers to gain unauthorized access to systems as well as compromise data, disrupt services, or carry out further malicious activities against other victims. Having effective procedures in place for the management of vulnerabilities helps to identify and address such holes in ones systems and software, lowering the risk of successful malicious attacks.
- Proactive Security: Through constant scanning and assessing systems for vulnerabilities a proactive approach to cyber security can be taken to mitigate any vulnerabilities as well as minimize the opportunity for attackers to exploit the vulnerabilities.
- Compliance & Regulatory Requirements: Many industries have specific and tough regulations and compliance standards which require regular vulnerability assessments & remediation efforts. Following these requirements ensures that businesses meet their legal and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Asset Protection: Management of vulnerabilities helps protect critical assets such as sensitive information, intellectual property, customer data, and infrastructure. This in turn ensures that valuable assets and the organizations running them are protected from unauthorized access or compromise.
- Reputation & Trust: Brand reputation and trust is hard to build but very easy to lose. Vulnerabilities that result in a breach occurring for a business degrade the trust of clients and potential clients to do business with that company. Showing that a business is committed to promptly addressing weaknesses in ones infrastructure or software, in the form of vulnerability management, can greatly improve a clients, or prospective clients perception, positive perception, and confidence helping to positively improve the brand image even further.
- Cost Savings: Addressing any vulnerabilities early in the software development life cycle can ensure that a company is not breached or compromised. This in turn ensures they do not incur any financial losses involved with data breaches, downtime, legal issues, and the cost remediation efforts if a breach or compromise occurs.
- Continuous Improvement: In terms of vulnerability management this is an on going process that encourages a culture of continuous improvement of security practices in an organization. It encourages regular scanning, patching and updating of systems and promotes a proactive & resilient security posture.
Reach out to us on [email protected] for a free consultation on how we can get you setup to monitor your infrastructure for vulnerabilities.